Book Review: One Night in Italy by Lucy Diamond

One Night in Italy by Lucy Diamond
Publisher: Pan (5th Jun 2014)
Amazon || Goodreads

Received a proof copy for review from the publisher, thank you, Pan!

Blurb:

Is Italian really the language of love? A new class of students hopes to find out.

Anna's recently been told the father she's never met is Italian. Now she's baking focaccia, whipping up tiramisu and swotting up on her vocabulary, determined to make it to Italy so she can find him in person.

Catherine's husband has walked out on her, and she's trying to pick up the pieces of her life. But she'll need courage as well as friends when she discovers his deception runs even deeper than infidelity.

Sophie's the teacher of the class, who'd much rather be back in sunny Sorrento. She can't wait to escape the tensions at home and go travelling again. But sometimes life - and love - can surprise you when you least expect it.

As the evening class gets underway, friendships form and secrets from Italy begin to emerge. With love affairs blossoming in the most unlikely places, and hard decisions to face, it's going to be a year that Anna, Catherine and Sophie will never forget.

I am a bit shameful to admit that I’ve never read any of Lucy Diamond’s books and One Night in Italy is my first. But, hold on, it’s a big but, I am definitely picking up her other books because I really enjoyed One Night in Italy!

One Night in Italy follows the tale of three different women who have come to a point in life where they have to make life-changing decisions. Well, they were cornered by sticky situations, so yes. It’s do or die for them. Anna is a journalist, leading a normal life, she’s got everything she needs, except her father. A little ripple is made in her little pond when her grandmother lets slip a sliver of a clue about her father who turns out to be Italian. Catherine has never felt lonelier in her life when her twin children set off to university, but her life is turned upside down when her husband leaves her. Sophie is living life as a free bird! She’s independent and happy, but when she receives some bad news from home, she has to put the past behind her and face the music.

Three women linked together with a story of their own but one goal: self-discovery. I really liked every one of them! I do, but if I have to choose a favourite, it would be Anna. I love her job as a restaurant reviewer and I like the fire in her when she decides to immerse herself in Italian culture, including cooking lessons. I am a huge foodie and I adore Italian food. I also enjoyed reading about her reviews featuring her colleague who is really lovely. These fantastic women are truly an inspiration – rediscovering their passions, believing in themselves, having the courage to be fearless. One Night in Italy celebrates women and it’s a gorgeous book.

I only have a slight problem with this book. A teeny, tiny problem. I didn’t get enough ITALY in the book. I was hoping for more of Italy, in fact, I was gagging for it. I readied myself for the beautiful Italian weather, the bustle of the piazza, the mellifluous slur of the r’s and the sexy Italian men.

One Night in Italy for me was a thrill to read. With such an absorbing plot, I really had to tell myself to go to sleep. I enjoyed this book so much, I even Googled Italian phrases and all. Now, if I had someone to practise my tourist Italian with. This fabulous book not only taught me about living life, but also enjoying and cherishing it.

Rating: 8/10

Amy Adams as Anna, Emma Roberts as Sophie and Emily Blunt as Catherine. Have you read One Night in Italy? What do you think of my casting? :)

Comments