Book Review: To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
Publisher: Simon & Schuster BFYR (15th Apr 2014)

Purchased.

Blurb:
Lara Jean keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. They aren't love letters that anyone else wrote for her, these are ones she’s written. One for every boy she’s ever loved.

When she writes, she can pour out her heart and soul and say all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only.

Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly Lara Jean’s love life goes from imaginary to out of control.

Please know that this is the first book I've read by Jenny Han. And I'm glad to say that it won't be the last (I've already read another two since!). I've found another favourite YA writer (I keep reading YA now - no idea why, but I feel like I've been missing so many fantastic books!) so I am constantly on the hunt for Jenny Han's other books, mainly the Summer I Turned Pretty series.

The blurb on the back of the book really intrigued me and I knew I would like it so I went with it and bought it on an impulse. Well, the gorgeous cover pretty much caught my eye and the blurb sealed the deal! I guess I enjoyed it, really much as I finished it in three sittings (the moment I got the chance to start on it, I finished one third of it, lying in bed - my being a librocubicularist). Well, who wouldn't? It's such a wonderful book.

Have you ever read a book and stop at every few chapters and think "Ooh! It gets better!" or "WHOA. I didn't see that coming!" and you plough on, desperate to find out more? Yep, To All The Boys I've Loved Before definitely falls into that category for me. I couldn't stop reading it and I was so absorbed by the plot!

I could say that this is a love story. Lara Jean hasn't really fallen in love, from the looks of it. She has "crushes" on boys she has met. So, she pours her heart out when she writes all her feelings and emotions into these letters to the boys she ever loved. I felt her emotions flowing through the words and I genuinely understood her feelings, albeit them being slightly naive. I love how Lara Jean's naivety is what makes her likeable and I rooted for her when she finally got a taste of falling in love for the first time.

I urge you to pick this adorable love story up and fall in love with it. I loved how Jenny Han cleverly deals with her heroine's emotions and the little love triangle in the plot is what makes this story worth reading. I won't go into details but it's romantic and cheesy, it's cuuuuuuute! There, I've said it. The book ends with a cliffhanger, so I'm eagerly waiting for the sequel!

Rating: 9/10

Ellen Wong as Lara Jean
Sorry! Couldn't find a Korean-American actress :(

Comments

  1. So glad you ended up loving this Kev and that you're enjoying more of Jenny's books :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it but THAT ENDING.
    Talk about a cliff hanger...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment