Book Review: Two Weddings and a Baby by Scarlett Bailey

Two Weddings and a Baby by Scarlett Bailey
Publisher: Ebury (19th Jun 2014)

Received a copy for review from the publisher, thank you, Ebury!

Blurb:
From reluctant bridesmaid, to accidental mother.

Tamsyn Thorne has not been back to her home town of Poldore for five long years.

But now her brother, Ruan, is about to get married and she has no excuses left.

Her plans to arrive in Cornwall looking chic and successful are dashed when a huge storm turns her from fashion goddess to a drowned rat. Worse, she ends up insulting the local hunky vicar - and then finds a tiny baby abandoned in his churchyard. 

Scarlett Bailey is known for her deliciously festive Christmas novels, including my favourite, Married by Christmas, but this year, she is releasing her first ever summer novel! Pop the party poppers and champagne, this one is a corker! PS. If you haven’t read Scarlett’s latest Christmas novel, Just for Christmas, I suggest you do so. The story is linked to Two Weddings and a Baby! 

Two Weddings and a Baby follows the story of hot-shot fashion designer Tamsyn who left the small town of Poldore as soon as she was old enough, leaving behind a bitter, painful past. Now she has run out of excuses to extricate herself from returning home, because her brother, Ruan is getting married. Unfortunately, Tamsyn’s arrival brings a super storm with her and half of Poldore is brutally affected by the storm. Not to forget, there’s the mystery of the abandoned baby found by Tamsyn. Add a handsome vicar into the mix and you’ve got two weddings and a baby!

I really enjoy reading Scarlett Bailey’s book because of the warmth in her writing which really shines when she’s writing Christmas novels. In her first attempt to write a summer novel, I think it’s apparent that Scarlett Bailey can write anything. I really like her writing and there’s something really comforting about it. Infused with humour and wit and laced with sarcasm at the right amount, she’s got flair, I’ll give her that!

Right from the start, I was immediately hooked on the book. I’ve always liked a little bit of a mystery in my stories and the baby mystery in Two Weddings and a Baby gave me a fix of suspense and intrigue! The plot of the book flowed very nicely and it was well-paced. Readers will be left guessing who the baby’s mother is? Will Ruan and Alex’s wedding go on? What happens to Scarlett and the hot vicar? WHO IS THE VICAR?

The characters are a thrill to read about, I really admired Tamsyn’s passion for fashion and it’s amazing how she handled things at the obstacles hurled at her. There’s a strong sense of realisation for her and her journey back home will definitely be her journey to self-discovery. Very, very well-constructed character progression. The secondary characters are well-written too, I really liked Alex (though I need to read Just For Christmas) and I loved the addition of the spirited dogs! Yes, we can finally move on to the vicar. I won’t let you know who he is, but he is scrummy and very handsome (described with precise detail by my darling Scarlett). *quells naughty thought of sexy vicars in dog collars* 

Two Weddings and a Baby is nothing I’ve read before. It’s funny, awfully charming and I think it’s brilliant! It’s definitely an escapist read because I got transported to the idyllic little Cornish town and I loved the beautiful descriptions of the setting. It was such a fantastic book and I will look forward to Scarlett’s books in the future, but first, I MUST read Just for Christmas!

Rating: 8/10

This is how Tamsyn was supposed to look when she arrives in Poldore! Go, Anne Hathaway circa The Devil Wears Prada! Ryan Gosling as the vicar (I'm sure Scarlett would approve), I wouldn't miss church if he's the vicar!

Comments