Book Review: The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me by Lucy Robinson

The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me by Lucy Robinson
Publisher: Penguin (19th Jun 2014)/ eBook early release - 10th Jun

Received a proof copy from the publisher for review.

Blurb:
Sally is an incredible singer but she sings only in her wardrobe where nobody can hear her. She'd rather join a nudist colony than sing in public.

That is until she ventures to New York where a wild and heady summer of love and loss changes her forever. No longer able to hide in the shadows, Sally must return home to London to fulfil a promise she cannot break - to share her voice.

But just as she's about to embark on her new life, a beautiful man turns up on Sally's doorstep bearing a sheepish smile and a mysterious hand-written message.

How did he find her? Why is he here? Does he hold the truth to what happened back in New York? And, with him back on the scene, will she still have the courage to step into the spotlight?
 

I flipping love Lucy Robinson’s books. Ever since I read her incredibly funny, awfully sweary debut novel, The Greatest Love Story of All Time, I knew I have found another favourite author of mine. Let’s just say, reading Lucy Robinson’s books are one of the highlights of my year. Yep, she’s up there with Sophie Kinsella and Lindsey Kelk.

As usual, I was super excited to read Lucy’s new one and it’s such great company, especially when you’re travelling! Yep, I brought Lucy with me, people. After reading the first page, I knew it was love at first page. Really, when you know, you know. Immediately I was engrossed in the book and Lucy Robinson’s hilarious vocabulary and euphemisms, which I call "Lucy's Little Nuggets", really made me laugh, not sniggers and giggles but belly laughs. Imagine Pavarotti bellowing a tune.

The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me follows the story of Sally Howlett, an opera aficionado since young, who sings beautifully with emotion and passion. In her wardrobe. Don’t laugh at her for being a weirdo. It was not her fault. Haunted by a traumatic experience, Sally sings to her heart’s desire in her wardrobe. Instead of  putting her talents to good use; performing in front of an audience in an opera house, she works behind the scenes as a wardrobe mistress at the Royal Opera House in London. This is a story of a girl making it big time, in a dress that makes her look like a lumpy banana.

Lucy Robinson’s sublime characters and plot made this book enjoyable, scratch that, flipping awesome. Her eccentric use of words (though some are non-existent) draws you in and will definitely rub on to you. I loved her extensive use of swear words, which has been watered down in this book, sadly. I guess what I’m trying to say is, Lucy Robinson has a unique voice which will compel you to laugh out loud and wet yourself. Did I just say that? (My new favourite word is wazzock). Lucy Robinson is such a creative writer, she wrote this book in five acts and I think it’s pretty genius as the readers are given glimpses of the alternating timelines, which allows them a clearer view of the storyline.

In Lucy Robinson’s third book, her characters are well-written and a seriously quirky bunch. Take, Sally for example, she’s a very different heroine, in my opinion, she’s very reserved and level-headed but she could be a total tit when she’s in close proximity with attractive men, but hey, nobody is perfect. I genuinely felt for her and I loved how she carried herself throughout the novel. Let’s talk about my book boyfriends, baby. Julian, oh my days. He is the epitome of the perfect male lead. He’s charismatic, funny and oh-so-bloody-charming-my-knees-go-weak-and-need-to-fan-myself. Then there’s Jan Borsos, the guy who trekked through Europe with only one shoe. God bless his fierce passion for singing and his misuse of words. My heart couldn’t take it, I had to fall in love with him too.

Well, it’s not all about the opera, people. OK, I’m totally bluffing. I must commend on the extensiveness of the research for this compilation of 484 pages. I can safely say that I know the difference between an aria and an arpeggio. OK? Back to the romance of the book, because I can’t hold it on any longer.

Be ready to be swept away by the most beautiful, adorable and purest love between Sally and Julian. I think Lucy Robinson really perfected the recipe for the most the loveliest, sweetest romance between two characters with their witty banter and fully utilising the magic of New York to bring two souls together. What am I saying? Just read it and fall in love with Julian, end of.

I laughed, I cheered, I welled up, I gasped, I giggled. I felt this book with all my heart. I loved this book. With the cleverest dialogue, piss-yourself humour and its buckets of charm and sass, I couldn’t stop laughing and turning the pages, Lucy Robinson has outdone herself. Be ready to be immersed into the world of opera, you'll surely fall head over heels for this book. Woman, if you’re reading this, I’ve got high expectations for your next one. If your editor is reading this, tell her I don't mind the swearing. AT ALL. *hops into wardrobe with Carrot, impatiently waiting*

Rating: 10/10


OK, ducklings. This little swan is Lucy Robinson and she's my Sally. OK? Can you imagine her singing in a wardrobe? I can. John Krasinski is my Julian. Go away.

Comments

  1. I'm so excited to see that you enjoyed this as it is one of the books that I have saved to take on holiday, I'm looking forward to it even more now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment