Book Review: Written in the Stars by Ali Harris

Written in the Stars by Ali Harris 
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK (5th Jun 2014) 
Amazon || Goodreads 

Received a copy for review from Simon & Schuster, thank you! 

Blurb: 
One decision + two different paths = how many happy endings? 

Have you ever wondered 'What if…?' What if you'd taken that other job, gone on a date with that sweet guy, moved to a different city? Would an alternative life path have led to a happier ending? 

Now imagine if you could have taken both paths… 

When Bea Bishop slips while walking down the aisle on her wedding day, she is momentarily knocked unconscious. And in a flash, her world splits and two separate parallel lives take her on two very different journeys. In one, Bea flees back down the aisle and out of the church. In the other, she glides blissfully towards Adam, her intended. 

Each path will take her on a very different journey. And each will see her life change for better and for worse. But which story will lead to her happy-ever-after? 

It goes without saying that Ali Harris’s Written in the Stars is one of the most anticipated books of 2014 for me. I adored her previous book, The First Last Kiss which made me cry buckets, so I was really looking forward to read Ali Harris’s latest. 

When I read the blurb of Written in the Stars, this beautiful quote from Letters to Juliet popped into my mind. '"What" and "If" are two words as non-threatening as words can be. But put them together side-by-side and they have the power to haunt you for the rest of your life: What if?' First of all, I would like to praise Ali Harris for an impeccable storyline. I was hooked from the first page and throughout the entire book, I was in raptures. What an amazing story and how beautifully written it is.

I simply enjoyed the book because of its fabulous plot and as well as the alternating universes the heroine goes through. A part of her leaves her husband-to-be at the altar, in hopes to let go of her past and start a new life and in an alternate universe, she marries him and follows the life she really hoped she really craved for. I found the plot very engaging and intriguing, willing me to keep reading on and I couldn’t help but fall in love with the book as I read. The characters were very well-written, especially the heroine, Bea who is faced with tough decisions in her life and dealing with the demons of her past. 

Ali Harris plays it well with writing about life and the choices we make. I loved reading about the use of imagery of plants and flowers where she reflects on Bea’s life, just like how flowers reawaken after the wintry months or when they are at full bloom in the summer sunshine. Like I said, it was beautifully written to an extent that it is poetic and imaginative. All I’m saying is that I enjoy Ali Harris’s writing and I crave for more! 

The book conveys a very meaningful message to readers. WHAT IF? A simple decision can lead to a million possibilities and change your life forever. Written in the Stars compelled me to ponder about the decisions I’ve made and wonder about the different consequences. A very thought-provoking read and one that will be unforgettable. Are our destinies written in the stars? Or do we determine our futures by the choices we make?

Written in the Stars is hugely romantic, life-affirming and undeniably magical. Step aside, Cecelia Ahern, there’s a new writer on the block and she’s taking over! With back-to-back modern fairytales, Ali Harris is my hot new favourite. Ali Harris delivers another stunning novel which will leave you wondering about the choices you’ve made in life and compel you to appreciate the loved ones in your life. 

Rating: 10/10
Amanda Seyfried as Bea, Channing Tatum as Adam and Chris Hemsworth as Kieran

Comments