Book Review: The Story of You by Katy Regan

The Story of You by Katy Regan
Publisher: Harper (3rd Jul 2014 - eBook/11th Sept 2014 - paperback)

Received a proof copy for review from Harper, thank you!

Blurb:
There is no story of me without the story of you.

I want to explain it all to you. How this happened. How that summer – the summer I was 16 – made me the person I am today.

I want to share my memories with you: the happy memories are like sunbursts, sparkling on the sea. But then, like a current dragging me under, there's that summer of 1997.

The summer my life exploded.
The summer I had to grow up.
The summer you came into my life.

And so this is the story of you. 

I have heard so many good things about Katy Regan’s book¸ How We Met which I didn’t get the chance to read last year. When Katy asked if I’d review her new book, The Story of You, I jumped at the chance. The Story of You is my first book by Katy Regan and I’ve been blown away.

The Story of You follows the story of Robyn King, who is a psychiatric nurse, dealing with mental health patients every day. She has moved on since the events of that fateful summer back in 1997. When her blast from the past contacts her, she is forced to return to her hometown, Kilterdale, back to where everything happened. When she finally confronts her past, will history repeat itself or will Robyn take a chance before it’s too late?

There are many themes surrounding the book, and the storyline is utterly gripping and engaging. One of the major themes of the book is miscarriages, so I strongly warn you that this is a hugely emotional book. The book also discusses about mental health, such as schizophrenia and suicide, as well as mother-daughter relationships and sisterly bonds.

I found the characters very well-written and diverse. There’s Robyn with her levelheadedness, Joe who is passionate and strong, the King sisters, Leah who is the protective of her younger sisters and the youngest King, Niamh who is really likeable. I guess you can say that it’s an eclectic mix, when you include Robyn’s patients, especially Grace, but I’ll let you read about them yourself. I found Katy Regan’s writing really comforting, like a warm, inviting cup of hot cocoa on a cold night. The book is written with such depth and detail, everything describe beautifully, especially the nuances of thoughts and emotions.

In The Story of You, you will come across letters to someone called Lily, which will give you more insight on the summer of 1997, as well as what happened to Robyn’s mother Lillian. The book deals very strongly on mother-daughter relationships and I would like to point out that Robyn’s last letter from her mother is touching and it moved me to tears.

The Story of You is a story of letting go of the past, living in the moment and hope. It taught me to cherish and appreciate my loved ones and never take them for granted. Evocative, powerful and uplifting, Katy Regan is making her mark and she’s snapping at Jojo Moyes’s heels. She writes from the heart and what’s worth reading.

Rating: 8/10

Gemma Arterton as Robyn and Ben Affleck as Joe

Comments