Book Review: The Tea Chest by Josephine Moon

The Tea Chest by Josephine Moon
Publisher: Allen & Unwin UK (3rd Jul 2014)

Received a copy for review from Allen & Unwin UK, thank you!

Blurb: 
Kate Fullerton, talented tea designer and now co-owner of The Tea Chest, could never have imagined that she'd be flying from Brisbane to London, risking her young family's future, to save the business she loves from the woman who wants to shut it down.

Meanwhile, Leila Morton has just lost her job; and if Elizabeth Clancy had known today was the day she would appear on the nightly news, she might at least have put on some clothes. Both need to move on.

When Kate's, Leila's and Elizabeth's paths cross, they throw themselves into realising Kate's vision of the newest and most delectable tea shop in London, The Tea Chest. But with the very real possibility that The Tea Chest may fail, the three women are forced to decide what's important to each of them. 

When Allen & Unwin UK tweeted the cover of The Tea Chest on Twitter and offered review copies, I knew I couldn’t say no! Just take a look at the stunning cover – it’s fabulous, cute and very pretty! The blurb sounds absolutely amazing, as a tea drinker myself, I knew this book would be up my street and I was right!

The Tea Chest follows the story of three women who meet under very different circumstances and together, they open a tea shop in London to continue its owner’s legacy. There’s Kate, Simone’s protégé, who is a very talented tea designer, Leila, who recently got fired from her previous job and in desperate need to prove herself and Elizabeth, whose marriage is in tatters after her husband drops a bombshell. Together, they struggle and muddle through the tricky deals of opening a business and risking everything they have, but will it all be worth it?

I seem to fall in love with cake/dessert-themed books, such as Jenny Colgan’s and I’ve never read anything like Josephine Moon’s The Tea Chest before. TEA! I love tea. I drink tea when I read, I savour the delicious aroma and it soothes me. That was what I felt when I read The Tea Chest. I learnt more things about teas, I discovered new ways to make tea taste better and I loved reading about the different blends Kate designs.

I found this book really enjoyable, the writing is easy to follow, relatable and at times, it’s tinged with humour. I like the author’s voice as she navigates through the different heroines. I loved the author’s attention to the descriptions in the book, very detailed and I felt like I was IN the book itself – wonderful prose. The characters were such a wonderful bunch, I adore Kate and Elizabeth’s sister, Victoria. I love each and every one of their happy endings. I mean, what’s not to love? Tea, friends, a little sweetness in life, and a dash of romance, that’s the recipe for the perfect blend.

I had so much fun reading this fabulous book. It’s enchanting, sweet and spicy. It was an enjoyable read with the right amount of mystery and plenty of heartwarming moments. Best enjoyed with a cup of your favourite tea and cake. Funny, poignant and delectable, such likeable characters as well.

Rating: 8/10 

Amy Adam as Kate, Kirsten Bell as Leila and the immensely funny Leslie Mann as Elizabeth

Comments