Book Review: Lola and The Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Lola and The Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
Publisher: Usborne (1st Jun 2014)

Purchased.

Blurb: 
Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn't believe in fashion... she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit – the more sparkly, more wild – the better. And life is pretty close to perfect for Lola, especially with her hot rocker boyfriend.

That is, until the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket return to the neighbourhood and unearth a past of hurt that Lola thought was long buried. So when talented inventor Cricket steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally face up to a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door. Could the boy from Lola's past be the love of her future?

Stephanie Perkins. This is woman is phenomenal. She has written back-to-back favourites of mine. I loved her fantastic debut, Anna and The French Kiss and I was really excited when I ordered Lola and The Boy Next Door from Kinokuniya. I kept calling the delivery service because I COULDN'T WAIT to read it. I promised my dear blogger friend, Emma, that we'd read Lola together. So, I don't know to write about my feelings towards Lola without sounding like a gushing teenage fangirl. I hope my review does the book justice.

GAH. Stephanie Perkins has done it again. GOSH. I really loved every page of this amazing book. REALLY, if you read and loved Anna and The French Kiss, then you should totally get Lola and The Boy Next Door because this companion novel is fabulous on its own. In Lola, Lola Nolan is different. She's a very expressive character and she's not afraid to flaunt her costumes. The more embellished, the better. I really liked her from the first page and she carried the book really well. The other thing I loved about Lola and The Boy Next Door is definitely Cricket Bell. As the title suggests, the "boy next door" is without a doubt Cricket. Have you ever dreamt of that cute neighbour of yours who is just so charming and sweet in his own way, who throws pins at your window to have a late night chat with you? Well, that's Cricket Bell. I thought Etienne St. Clair (from Anna and The French Kiss) was utterly wonderful, but Cricket is just another kind of awesome. He's shy, geeky in a very adorable way and I couldn't help but develop a huge crush on him! Right, gushing, aren't I?

ARGH! I couldn't help but swoon/clap/cheer/laugh/fist pump/giggle/awwww when I was reading Lola and The Boy Next Door, I just loved it so much. Stephanie Perkins's signature writing style sparkles like the brightest star in the sky. What makes her books unique and so flipping good is her ability to come up with the best elements in a YA love story. She has the secret recipe for the perfect boy-meets-girl love story locked up in a safe in the most secure place in her house and Lola and The Boy Next Door is another whooping winner!

I guarantee you, you will be left speechless when you turn the last page of Lola and The Boy Next Door. Scratch that. The first thing I did was shout "NO!" because it ended. I really want more of Lola and Cricket. I would have read on and on, about how adorably charming Cricket is, how insanely kooky Lola is and I wouldn't get bored. A gorgeously written book with the charm and sass that will dazzle you! If you loved Anna and The French Kiss, then you should pick this up! A certain American with a really sexy British accent makes a cameo appearance! *winks*

Chloe Moretz as Lola and DYLAN O'BRIEN as Cricket. SWOOOOON!

Comments