Book Review: The Worst Girlfriend in the World by Sarra Manning

The Worst Girlfriend in the World by Sarra Manning
Publisher: Atom (1st May 2014)

Received a proof copy for review from the Atom, thank you!

Blurb:
My best friend was now my deadliest enemy, the one person I'd hate beyond all measure for the rest of my life . . 

Franny Barker's best friend, Alice, is the worst girlfriend in the world according to the many boys of Merrycliffe-on-Sea. She toys with them, then dumps them. But she'll never dump fashion-obsessed Franny. Nothing and no one can come between them.

Not even tousle-haired rock god, Louis Allen, who Franny's been crushing on hard. Until Alice, bored with immature boys and jealous of Franny's new college friends, sets her sights on Louis. Suddenly, best friends are bitter rivals.

Is winning Louis's heart worth more than their friendship? There's only one way for Franny to find out. 

I have been eagerly waiting for Sarra Manning’s YA books after reading Adorkable last year and when I got a copy of The Worst Girlfriend in the World in the post, I couldn’t stop myself from reading it! Trust me, it’s fabulous because Sarra Manning’s latest offering definitely puts her as the Queen of British YA in my books!

The Worst Girlfriend in the World is, in fact, not our heroine. No, the heroine, Franny is a fabulous budding fashion designer who I really liked. The title belongs to her best friend, Alice Jenkins who is a serious player when it comes to guys. All is well until Alice decides her next target is none other than her best friend’s crush. They say all’s fair in love and war, but what about friendship? Isn’t it supposed to be sisters before misters?

I guess it goes without saying that I really adore Sarra Manning’s writing voice, especially for her young adult books. I thought Jeanne was the amazeballs for her quirkiness and sharp wit. Immediately, I warmed up to Franny when I started on Sarra Manning’s latest offering. I think the whole ‘no guys will get in the way of our friendship’ idea was really well-written and executed. I liked the love triangle between Franny, Alice and Louis, which kept me guessing (a good thing!).

The characters are brilliant. As I’ve mentioned, I really liked Franny, with her amazing sense of style and sassy attitude, she was a wonderful heroine. Sarra Manning really made me want to choke Alice, but trust me, you wouldn’t want to do that, she has some redeeming factors, well, sort of.

No one writes British YA like Sarra Manning. Fact. She has written back-to-back books which consistently impressed me. Sarra Manning brings a whole new level of young adult fiction with her sharp, irresistible writing voice, clever dialogue and insanely likeable characters. I can confidently say that The Worst Girlfriend in the World is young adult fiction with attitude, I enjoyed this kick-arse novel and I cannot get enough of Sarra Manning.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Franny (kooky in style, but not the hair colour though) and Emma Roberts as Alice, her "it" girl look is perfect!

Comments