Book Review: Before Jamaica Lane by Samantha Young

Before Jamaica Lane by Samantha Young
Publisher: Penguin (16th Jan 2014)

Received a copy for review from Penguin, thank you!

Blurb: 
Olivia is painfully shy but moving to Edinburgh has given her a new start and, after she develops a crush on a handsome postgrad, she decides it's time to push past her fears and go after what she wants.

The gorgeous Nate Sawyer is terrifed of commitment - but to his close friends, he's as loyal as they come. So when Olivia turns to him with her relationship woes, he offers to instruct her in the art of flirting.

Their friendship soon turns into much more but Nate can't commit and leaves Olivia brokenhearted.

Will Nate realise he's made the biggest mistake of his life? Or has he lost Olivia for ever?

Before Jamaica Lane is the third instalment of the On Dublin Street series and it's as good as it will ever get, people! I really enjoyed On Dublin Street so I knew I had to read all the books. Luckily for me, I got a surprise from Penguin and that was my weekend sorted!

In Before Jamaica Lane, the story focusses on Olivia (if you've read Down London Road, she is the daughter of Uncle Mick, Jo's uncle) and her journey to finding true love. Right from the beginning, readers are reacquainted with the characters in the series, this time the book is told from Olivia's perspective. It was great reading about familiar characters and I could really warm up to them easily, just like catching up with old friends.

I have to say, my favourite book in the series has to be On Dublin Street, but Before Jamaica Lane comes a close second. I really liked the heroine, Olivia and her easy-going attitude and shyness, which is completely relatable. If you remember Cam's (Down London Road) friend, Nate? Well, he's the heroine's love interest in the book. I really enjoyed reading the playful banter and dialogue between Olivia and Nate. I adored their sweet, blossoming relationship, as friends and more, and it's really beautiful, trust me on this, I had a little cry when Nate fought for Olivia's love. Oh, if you like the naughty bits, you might want to give this one a go! *winks*

Since Before Jamaica Lane is leaning towards romance, you could expect loads of sexual tension between Olivia and Nate. Olivia, who is shy and vulnerable when it comes to love, could come across naive in the book, but you would want to root for her, she's brilliant heroine. Nate, lothario and deeply attractive, who will go around breaking hearts, maybe even Olivia's, but when you read about his past and whatever affected him, it gives us readers more understanding towards Nate as a character - friend, lover, soulmate. The romance in the book is filled with raw emotions and fiery passion.

So, people. This is New Adult. Which means, there's always a painful past or "issues" where the characters had to live through. I think I could see the connection between Olivia and Nate's tragic past as my heart really went out to them. It's wonderful how Samantha Young could put so much emotions into her writing. I don't really want to spoil it for you, but their journey to finding love is painful and all-consuming, my heart broke for them. It was intense. I'm not one who really cries when I read, but Before Jamaica Lane really tugged my heartstrings.

For me, Before Jamaica Lane is an addictive, insanely passionate and emotional story about a two people who fight for what is worth and sacrificing for. It deals with loss, recovery and finding true love, despite going through hell to finding it. Beware, people. It's a roller coaster and you better have tissues ready.

Emma Stone as Olivia and Chace Crawford as Nate (name's stuck with the poor guy..)

Comments