Book Review: Shopaholic to the Stars by Sophie Kinsella

Shopaholic to the Stars by Sophie Kinsella
Publisher: Bantam Press (25th Sept 2014)

Received a proof copy for review from Transworld, thank you!

Blurb:
Becky Brandon (nee Bloomwood) is in Hollywood! It's as if all her life has been leading to this moment. She's hanging out with the stars or at least she will be, when she finally gets to meet movie superstar Sage Seymour, whom husband Luke is now managing.

There's so much to see and do! And getting Minnie through the hurdles for her A-list Hollywood pre-school will require some help.

Becky sets her heart on a new career - she's going to be a celebrity stylist. Red carpet, here she comes! But Becky soon finds it's tough in Tinseltown. Luckily her best friend Suze comes over to keep her company, and together they embark on the Hollywood insider trail. But somehow... things aren't quite working out as they'd hoped.

Then Becky's big chance comes, and it's an opportunity that money can't buy. But will it cost her too much? 

OK. Don’t panic. Becky Brandon (nee Bloomwood) is back! And in Shopaholic to the Stars, our favourite heroine is heading over to the City of Angels. That’s right. Becky is hitting LA.. in style! The wait is over and our favourite shopaholic is back in the highly anticipated seventh book in the series.

I was so excited to hold this gorgeous book in my hands and have the amazing opportunity of reading it. Come to think of it, ‘excited’ doesn’t seem to cut it. (When I went out to get the post, I returned with the book, sans the envelope – after a bout of squealing and jumping – so I guess that explains a lot) I have always been a huge Sophie Kinsella fan. HUGE, I tell you. The first of the Shopaholic series, The Secret Dreamworld of A Shopaholic was my first ever venture into chick lit, it sparked my love affair with the genre and I have the highest regard for Sophie Kinsella – she’s my ‘go-to’ author when it comes to chick lit and her books never let me down.

In the latest instalment of the series, our favourite heroine, Becky finds herself in Hollywood, where it is always sunny, everyone smiles at you and it’s the land of yoga, organic smoothies and celebrities. Have I mentioned that it houses Rodeo Drive and Melrose Avenue? Oh yes, that too. Leaving behind everything in London, she is too thrilled at the thought of spending her days in LA, having drinks with stars and being in the limelight. Determined to prove that she is capable of being a celebrity stylist, Becky is on a mission to be the next Rachel Zoe. Well, after a few unfortunate events (surely it’s normal for everyone to have bumpy starts..?), Becky finds herself in the limelight.. but for the wrong reasons! But as they say, “all that glitters isn’t gold”, Becky has to know that there’s always a price for a few seconds in the spotlight. Right? I'm sure everyone has their own moments where they fantasise about meeting celebrities and becoming the best of friends with them. Obviously.

I dropped everything when Shopaholic to the Stars arrived and I started on it immediately. I finished it during the weekend and upon finishing it, I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to the next Shopaholic novel (or any of Sophie Kinsella’s books for that matter..). As usual, it was so much fun to be with the gang again. I have missed Becky so much, her hilarious antics and nuances of thought are sublime in the latest instalment.

In Shopaholic to the Stars, Sophie Kinsella’s sparkling and comical wit is ever brilliant and does not disappoint readers old and new. You’ll laugh, cheer and root for our favourite shopaholic when she takes Hollywood in style. Highly entertaining, funny and a truly delight, I cannot wait for the next Shopaholic book because I am left gasping for more of Becky and the gang’s wacky adventures!


Isla Fisher and Hugh Dancy as Becky and Luke. I thought the casting for the film was pretty spot-on!

Comments