Book Review: It Had To Be You by Ellie Adams

It Had To Be You by Ellie Adams
Publisher: Corgi (28th Aug 2014)

Received a copy for review from Corgi, thank you!

Blurb:
The worst break-up ever... Could be the best thing that has ever happened to her?

Lizzy Spellman has been dumped. At a party. While wearing a Henry VIII costume. By the man she thought was The One. Someone even filmed it, so now she’s a massive YouTube hit sensation too.

Just when she thinks things can't get any worse, she meets the rudest, most cynical man in the world, and gets a new mission in life. To prove him wrong.

Love does exist, and she’s going to find it...

The secret is out! Ellie Adams is not your ordinary debut novelist, she is, in fact, Jo Carnegie! Known for her steamy blockbuster romance novels (also known as "bonkbusters", she has taken a different route and decided to try out with a romantic comedy and I have to say, that's a flipping good decision! I've never read any of Jo Carnegie's books so It Had To Be You is my first outing with "Ellie Adams".

It Had To Be You follows the story of Lizzy Spellman who finds herself in the limelight for the completely wrong reason after being dumped by her boyfriend at a friend's 30th birthday party in front of an audience. On stage. As if life couldn't be more of a wazzock, she meets Elliott, a successful journalist and telly personality who is rude, self-opinionated and very sexy with all that red hair (think Eddie Redmayne with a constant frown).

I cannot begin to tell you how much I enjoyed reading this book because I can't decide what I liked most about it! From the first page, I knew this would be an immensely enjoyable read and I would love it and it turns out, I was right! If you've got a larger-than-life heroine, a bunch of kooky and vibrant characters (I loved Lizzy's mum - she reminded me of Pam Jones - Bridget Jones's mum - but funnier!) and a love story that will move my chilly little heart, I'm putty in your hands. And of course, who can forget the unforgettable hero?

It Had To Be You was a hoot from the beginning until the end and it was so entertaining. I loved reading about the wacky antics and frolics Lizzy finds herself in. And to top it off, this book is genuinely funny - I have lost count of the times I had to hold back my laughter by snorting in public. The plot, which is loosely inspired by Pride and Prejudice (but with a modern twist!), is really well-written and paced. As for Elliott Anderson, well, don't get me started! I couldn't stand the guy at first - he's the perfect example of the modern-day Mr Darcy but then I slowly grew to like him and he turned out to be a dashing hero!

With the right amount of humour and wit, I adored Ellie Adams's flair for words. Loaded with hilarious antics, It Had To Be You is such a fabulous book to sink your teeth into, and the romantic scenes in the book can actually make you go 'ooh' and 'ahhh'! Achingly funny, romantic and feel-good, it's a brilliant debut novel which will appeal to fans of Lindsey Kelk and Mhairi McFarlane, and I am eagerly waiting for her next book.


Funny lady Zooey Deschanel as Lizzy and a very yummy redhead Michael Fassbender as Elliott.

Comments