Books of 2014

Well, it goes without saying that 2014 saw the publication of heaps of fantastic books. Personally, I enjoyed almost every book I read this year and it was so flipping difficult to narrow down my favourites into categories.

MOST ANTICIPATED

Ta-da! When the reigning queen of chick lit, Sophie Kinsella announced that she will be writing the seventh Shopaholic book, everyone was eagerly waiting for it (especially me - I was on tenterhooks and buzzing with excitement!). After waiting for 4 years, fans of Sophie Kinsella (especially me!) were really psyched to read about Becky's adventures in Tinseltown!

Filled with laugh-out-loud moments where you'll laugh at Becky's silly antics and cheer for our favourite shopaholic, Shopaholic To The Stars did not disappoint. I'm once again left waiting for the eighth book! Bring it on, Sophie!




MOST UNFORGETTABLE

It goes without saying, Mhairi McFarlane has made her mark in the genre when she first appeared in the scene with her best-selling, runaway success debut novel, You Had Me at Hello, which is still one of my favourite books, ever.

So eyes were on her to deliver another cracking winner and once again, this Scottish woman with an unpronounceable name, sent me laughing and chuckling at her witty and incredibly funny dialogue and fabulous turn of phrase. It's Not Me, It's You is still on my mind despite finishing it a while ago. I still shamelessly fantasise about that scrummy hero, Adam West. You've got me again, Mhairi!




MOST COMPELLING

How would you feel if you wake up one day and suddenly forgot about everything in your life? Your loved ones? Your name? Rowan Coleman's The Memory Book has to be the most compelling read for me this year. Incredibly tender, heartbreaking and touching, it's the tale about a woman who is diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's and struggles as she slowly loses herself to her illness.

The Memory Book is an uplifting story that will tug at your heartstrings and compel you to feel so deeply for the characters. Rowan Coleman has done a stellar job in creating characters you would want to care for. 




MOST HUMOROUS

My year only gotten sweeter after I read Lucy-Anne Holmes's Just a Girl, Standing In Front of a Boy. I adore and missed Lucy-Anne Holmes's signature humour and feel-good romantic stories (her last book was out 3 years ago) and when I got the chance to read it after SO long, I nearly wept baby Jesus tears!

Just a Girl, Standing In Front of a Boy is genuinely funny, adorable and fabulous. If you haven't read this gem, or any of Lucy-Anne Holmes's books, you should. I strongly recommend her books. So funny, so addictive and so good.




MOST INTRIGUING


Every year, I do encounter novels that have intriguing plots, and this year, it is no different. In 2014, the book that stood out for me was Where Love Lies by Julie Cohen. The opening chapter of it was enough to lure me into Julie Cohen's beautiful writing style and storytelling.

Where Love Lies is truly remarkable, as it starts off so simply and unexpectedly - a scent of perfume - and slowly it blossoms into a beautiful story about the heroine reminiscing about her past and luring her into uncovering what happened all those years ago.





BEST LOVE STORY


It Had to Be You had to be one of my favourite reads of 2014 because it was everything I needed and more when I was feeling down. It was exceptionally feel-good and funny. And.. in case you didn't know, Ellie Adams is Jo Carnegie! Quelle surprise!

With a storyline that was inspired by one of the pioneers of women's literature, Pride and Prejudice, Ellie Adams's debut novel was the quintessential romantic comedy that will make you laugh out loud and be swooned by the fabulous love story between Lizzy and her "Mr Darcy".





BEST ENDING


This year, Ali McNamara brought back the fabulous gang from her From Love.. Actually series and it was such a hoot to welcome them back! I have missed every single one of them and reading about their adventures in From Notting Hill With Four Weddings... Actually.

Ali McNamara has the most amazing ideas when it comes to the endings of her novels and her latest novel was no exception. With the most surprising elements and guest stars making cameo appearances, it had the WOW factor which deserves the title for Best Ending from me!





SEXIEST READ


A really rare find and an exceptionally fabulous and steamy one, Some Girls Do by Clodagh Murphy was such a treat! I didn't know what to expect, but it was one of my favourite books of 2014 because it's got the balance between the wittiness of Clodagh Murphy's writing and the naughty factor.

The reason it deserves the title of Sexiest Read is because it was steamy and very satisfying. Do expect a few blushes when you read this little minx in public. Loads of sexy moments but there's an underlying love story which is really sweet, but this book is sexy. You've been warned.




BEST TEARJERKER


Hannah Beckerman's debut novel, The Dead Wife's Handbook was incredibly tender and heartbreaking, but it could also lift your spirits and hope for the heroine to have a happy ending. The title is pretty self-explanatory - it follows the tale of a wife and mother who prematurely dies when her heart gives up on her. She gets to watch her family from a distance, the acceptance of her death and moving on, all the while dealing with her own departure from their lives.

One of the most beautifully written books I've ever read, The Dead Wife's Handbook will tug at your heartstrings and you won't be left with a dry eye after turning the last page. Grief has never been written more tenderly. It tells us to appreciate what we have, until it's too late. Live, love and cherish. Read it with tissues (a whole box!).


BEST SUMMER READ


Have you ever read that book which made you feel like you've abandoned all your problems and you're holidaying in a sunny Italian villa with the most delicious food and gorgeous people, soaking up the glorious sun? Well, I got all that when I was reading Lisa Dickenson's summer novel, You Had Me at Merlot!

Escape to the gorgeous Tuscan vineyard with Lisa Dickenson's summer read that will no doubt paste a sunny smile on your face. And did I mention that the hero is to die for? Smoking hot? Irresistibly charming? Oh, well.. It's a fabulous and spectacular book. You'll love it. I know I did!




BEST DEBUT


Whoohoo! Introducing my favourite debut novel of 2014 - The Best Thing That Never Happened to Me by the dynamic duo, Laura Tait and Jimmy Rice! I cannot begin to tell you how much I enjoyed and loved this little gem, from the moment I read the first page, I knew it would be a good one!

The Best Thing That Never Happened to Me follows the story of two best friends who lost touch after sixth form, only to reconnect about 10 years later. It explores unrequited love, which could be so frustrating at times - those blimey near misses - but at the end, the happy ending is really worth it. I am eagerly waiting for Laura and Jimmy's upcoming novels.




BEST BOOK IN A SERIES


Well, my year wouldn't be complete without a Lindsey Kelk novel: fact. I have adored every one of her books since I read her debut novel, I Heart New York a few years back. Besides writing the I Heart series, she wrote another series last year, featuring one of my favourite heroines, Tess Brookes. Yes, folks. This year, readers of Lindsey should have loved What A Girl Wants.

What A Girl Wants picks up after the events of the first novel of the series, About A Girl, where Tess has to decide whether to accept a job offer in Milan - oh, my! - and to find out what her heart truly wants. Yes, people. Are you on Team Nick or Team Charlie? At the end of the day, I'm on Team Kelk!



BOOK OF THE YEAR


Ah, yes. Announcing my Book of the Year! It's none other than Lucy Robinson's exceptionally funny novel, The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me which left me craving for MORE. Lucy Robinson's trademark wit and turn of phrase really made my belly ache from laughing. Oh, I guess I forgot the vulgarities in it - love them!

I feel that The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me is Lucy Robinson's best novel yet. It's got the sweetest, most romantic love story in it, as well as the bittersweet tale of growing up, afraid of spreading your wings and embracing your talents and aspirations. A truly delight from Lucy Robinson, read if you haven't. It's my Book of the Year.


2014 has been amazing - thanks to the authors who wrote such fabulous books for me to laugh/cry/squeal/gasp/pump my fist, the publishers who have been so generous to send me review copies, fellow bloggers for being such fantastic company and Twitter buddies and not to forget YOU, my lovely and ever supportive readers. THANK YOU! Here's to an abso-flipping-lutely fabulous 2015!

Comments