Review: Age, Sex, Location by Melissa Pimentel

Age, Sex, Location by Melissa Pimentel
Publisher: Penguin UK (29th Jan 2015)

Received a proof copy for review, thank you, Penguin!

Blurb:
The last thing twenty-eight-year-old Lauren is looking for is love, so why do the men she's dating assume she's searching for The One?

With men running for the hills, Lauren takes drastic action and turns her love life into an experiment, vowing to follow the advice of a different dating guide every month.

From releasing her inner siren to swearing off sex completely, Lauren will follow The Rules and play The Game, all with the help of her disapproving best friend and her newly loved-up housemate.

But as she searches for the holy grail of no-strings sex minus the heartache, Lauren soon realizes that dating is more complicated than just swiping right - and that the things you run from tend to always catch up with you..

When I found out that there was such a book called, Age, Sex, Location, I gasped and smiled knowingly. If you’re quite active on the online dating scene, you’d know that its abbreviation, ASL, is widely used. Of course, I only discovered this term when my friend introduced me to Omegle a few years ago. From the blurb, Age, Sex, Location sounds like the kind of book that would make you laugh out loud at the heroine’s disastrous attempts in dipping her toes in the dangerous, murky waters of the dating scene.

Age, Sex, Location follows the story of Lauren Cunningham, an American who finds herself in London, reading and following dating guides like they are the Holy Bible. Using different dating guides to define her adventurous “experiment”, she tackles each book with gusto, resulting in shocking and often hilarious results! The opening chapter pulled me in and I was thrilled to no end when I finished it. The book is fast-paced and witty, the characters are fun, wild and often surprising (well, mostly Lauren’s dates).

I loved the entire concept of the book, which delineates the different approaches when it comes to dating and ensuring that you aren't sleeping with psychopaths. I thought it was well-written and Lauren was a fantastic heroine, though it made my head turn when I had to guess why she left the States, but eventually, it all panned out pretty well towards the end. I only have a little problem with the ending as I found it to be rather abrupt, but sweet and romantic in its own way.

Think of Age, Sex, Location as the post-modern Bridget Jones who swears, smokes and drinks equally as much, but Lauren definitely has more sex – and more cock ups! Hilarious, with the right amount of sass and bite, it will promise you barrels of laugh and some rather cringe-worthy moments as it’s relatable to what you would do when you’re navigating the tricky dating pool. Perfect for fans of Girls and Sex and the City!

I would so cast Lizzy Caplan as Lauren!

Comments