Review: Geek Girl: Model Misfit by Holly Smale

Geek Girl: Model Misfit by Holly Smale
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books (26th Sept 2013)

Purchased.

Blurb:
Harriet Manners knows a lot of facts.

She knows that humans have 70,000 thoughts per day.

She knows that Geek + Model = a whole new set of graffiti on your belongings.

And that the average person eats a ton of food a year, though her pregnant stepmother is doing her best to beat this.

But Harriet doesn't know where she’s going to fit in once the new baby arrives. And with her summer plans ruined, modelling in Japan seems the perfect chance to get away.

Can Harriet cope with the craziness of Tokyo, her competitive model flatmates and her errant grandmother’s ‘chaperoning’. Or seeing gorgeous Nick everywhere she goes?

Will geek girl find her place on the other side of the world?

Geek Girl by Holly Smale is one of my favourite YA books ever. It's funny, witty and too charming, and when I saw Geek Girl: Model Misfit at a book sale, I was thrilled. And the greatest thing was, it was only £1! What a bargain. Seriously, I could hardly refrain myself from going crazy and I was so thrilled that I bought the sequel to Geek Girl! Geeks rule.

Geek Girl: Model Misfit continues where the first book left off, where Harriet is now an international model and the envy of every girl in school. Girls hate her because she's smart AND her face is plastered on billboards and ads. Next stop: TOKYO!

I adored Geek Girl: Model Misfit right from the start! I have never been to Tokyo and I didn't have the slightest idea of the Land of the Rising Sun! Reading about Tokyo through Harriet's eyes was such a treat and I loved all the descriptions of the sights and sounds and smells of the bustling city.

Harriet Manners. Oh, what can I say about this socially awkward, oddly likeable and extremely quirky heroine? I loved her little moments and witticisms. Holly Smale's writing style is sharp, witty and absolutely funny. One of my favourite YA writers, Holly Smale has a flair to make every twist and turn of the book really enjoyable and worth reading. Too good to pass up, if you're looking for a book that will make you laugh, giggle and shout "Geeks rule!" then Geek Girl: Model Misfit is the book to go for!



Chloe Moretz as Harriet. Hands down.

Comments