Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection by Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen (24th Apr 2012)

Purchased.

Blurb:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

I've heard of The Selection series. I've seen the books in bookstores when I browse through the shelves. I've even contemplated on getting them, but I didn't. Why? I had no idea. After doing some research on the series and I've read reviews, I finally caved in. The only question is: Why did I leave it until now to read them?

The Selection is the first book of the best-selling series by Kiera Cass, where it follows the story of 35 girls who are selected to compete for the heart of Prince Maxon and the crown of princess of Illéa. The heroine of the series is America Singer, who is a musician/singer who is a Five (the series is set in the near future after the USA lost to China in the Fourth World War and the States is newly named as Illéa and the nation is divided into castes – One being royalty and Eight being the homeless) and she isn't particularly keen on joining the Selection, as she was talked into signing up by her loved ones.

First of all, let me clarify this. I've never been a huge fan of dystopian books, with the exception of The Hunger Games trilogy. When I was itching to sink my teeth into a new series, I thought “Why not? I could always give The Selection series a try and see if I like it. It looks interesting and the covers are fabulous!” and I was so happy I gave it a chance. I loved The Selection because it’s so refreshing and exciting.

In The Selection, the book introduces the characters and on how America is settling into life in the palace with the other Selected. There, she meets girls from different provinces and castes who are gorgeous from head-to-toe. Though it’s a huge stretch for Kiera Cass to feature the characterisation of 35 girls and the supporting characters: the staff in the palace, etc., I feel like she did a sufficient enough job in giving the readers a glimpse of the other Selected.

I loved the descriptions – of Illéa, the beautiful opulence of the palace, the dresses were written and described to perfection – and Prince Maxon was just wonderful. With his palace upbringing, he does have a way with words, delivering romantic lines with such flair. Swoon. You can imagine yourself getting all mushy and gooey from reading all his little declarations of feelings for America.

The Selection is a breath of fresh air. It captivated me from the first page and the pages flew by all too quickly, making me guessing and feeling giddy for the next book, The Elite. Kiera Cass has outdone herself with her flair for writing and creating an entirely new universe where you’ll no doubt fall in love with. Pure indulgence.

Bonnie Wright as America and the swoon-worthy Jeremy Irvine as Maxon

Comments