Review: Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan

Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan
Publisher: Sphere (26th Feb 2015)

Received a copy for review from Sphere, thank you!

Blurb:
Summer has arrived in the Cornish town of Mount Polbearne and Polly Waterford couldn't be happier. Because Polly is in love: she's in love with the beautiful seaside town she calls home, she's in love with running the bakery on Beach Street, and she's in love with her boyfriend, Huckle.

And yet there's something unsettling about the gentle summer breeze that's floating through town. Selina, recently widowed, hopes that moving to Mount Polbearne will ease her grief, but Polly has a secret that could destroy her friend's fragile recovery. Responsibilities that Huckle thought he'd left behind are back and Polly finds it hard to cope with his increasingly long periods of absence.

Polly sifts flour, kneads dough and bakes bread, but nothing can calm the storm she knows is coming: is Polly about to lose everything she loves?

I've read and thoroughly enjoyed Jenny Colgan's The Little Beach Street Bakery last year and I have to say, I was really excited to read its sequel, Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery. First of all, I am a huge fan of Neil, Polly's utterly lovable pet puffin. And.. I'm a definite sucker for books that have any essence of food in it, eg. Jenny Colgan's books.

Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery picks up where the first book left off, where Polly is settling into her life as a baker in a quiet, idyllic island called Polbearne – a place she could hopefully call home? Life has been great for her and the townsfolk, despite the disastrous tragedy that left everyone shaken, everyone seems to be able to finally move on. However, due to unforeseeable circumstances, everything turns for the worse when Polly is forced to give up what she loves and be torn apart from her loved ones.

As I've mentioned, I adore books that centre on food! As a self-proclaimed foodie, I loved reading about the delicious, sumptuous delicacies that were well-described by Jenny Colgan. Every word teased at my taste buds, willing me to drool over the delectable breads Polly made. I enjoyed reading about the setting, which lends a sort of holiday feel to the story, which I liked very much.

Jenny Colgan seems to have a formula for her books, which is fine for me, I do like her food-themed books, especially when they come with really fun and foolproof recipes. However, I can’t help but think that the novelty will wear off. I liked Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery but I didn't love it. There were some parts that appealed to me, while some really were rather slow. Nevertheless, it was an enjoyable read.

Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery will appeal to Jenny Colgan's fans and readers who fell in love with that little adorable puffin, Neil in The Little Beach Street Bakery. With Jenny Colgan's trademark humour and her arsenal of deliciously written artisan breads, get your holiday bags packed for another getaway at Polbearne!


Comments