Review: The Day We Disappeared by Lucy Robinson

The Day We Disappeared by Lucy Robinson
Publisher: Penguin (9th Apr 2015)

Received a copy for review from Penguin, thank you!

Blurb:
Annie has a secret. But if she’s not going to tell, we won’t either. It’s a heart-breaking secret she wishes she didn't have – yet Annie isn't broken, not quite yet. Especially now there’s someone out there who seems determined to fix her.

Kate has run away. But she’s not going to tell us why – that would defeat the point of running, wouldn't it? It’s proving difficult to reinvent herself, however, with one person always on her mind.

Scratch beneath the surface and nobody is really who they seem. Even Annie and Kate, two old friends, aren't entirely sure who they are any more. Perhaps you can work it out, before their pasts catch up with them for good...

OK. Don’t panic. It’s just Lucy Robinson’s exciting, brand new novel, The Day We Disappeared, which sounds absolutely amazing and too good to pass up. Come on, this is Lucy Robinson we’re talking about and I'm a huge fanboy when it comes to her books. She has consistently written books that I loved with a cast of unforgettable characters and that unique turn of phrase.

The Day We Disappeared follows the story of two different women who are harbouring their own secrets. Annie, a carefree masseuse who has a group of friends who truly care for her, but after a horrific incident she experienced in her childhood, she was never the same. Her friend, Kate is running from her past and finds solace in a horse farm in Exmoor.

Gah! I cannot begin to tell you how much I adored Lucy Robinson’s stunning new novel. After finishing it, I still thought about it. Constantly. I even dreamt of it. I dreamt of how I was running from my past and it caught up with me. How terrified I was. I woke up and continued reading until I flipped the last page. I couldn't get enough of the book. Seeing as I've thoroughly enjoyed every one of Lucy Robinson’s books, I had such high hopes for The Day We Disappeared but she has done it again. Her writing is very addictive with her dry wit, effervescent voice and turn of phrase. I love how her heroines (in The Day We Disappeared, there are two. Lucy spoils us!) are real, funny and really likeable.

As always, Lucy Robinson introduces a fantastic cast of characters in her new book, ranging from the perfect guy who is flawless to the funniest, dandiest and cheekiest. I enjoyed reading about these characters and having a good laugh from the hilarious dialogue.

The book is written from a dual-perspective, alternating between Annie and Kate, where readers are given the chance to learn about their past and present, which gives way for the plot to slowly unravel, all the while keeping you hooked. It was well-paced, hugely captivating and it really draws you in. Beware of the plot twist(s) though!

The Day We Disappeared is a rollercoaster of a book, where you are swept away by Lucy Robinson’s clever plotting and reveals. It’s deeply moving, captivating and compelling. It is also genuinely, laugh-out-loud funny with the right amount of bite. Pure indulgence, this.

Reese Witherspoon as Annie and Emma Stone as Kate

Comments