Review: The Elite by Kiera Cass

The Elite by Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen (23rd Apr 2013)

Purchased.

Blurb:
The Selection began with thirty-five girls.

Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?

America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elite know exactly what they want—and America's chance to choose is about to slip away.

After I turned the last page of The Selection, my immediate thought was “Thank God I bought the boxed set!” because I dived right into The Elite. Well, no surprises here, it picks up where The Selection ended, where America is still confused with her feelings, should she is still torn between falling for Maxon or hold on to the slightest sliver of hope with Aspen, her ex-boyfriend back home who is now a member of the royal guard.

If you've read The Selection, I'm sure you've already read The Elite and The One, seeing as I'm the only poor soul who has yet the entire series (but writing this review, I have in fact, read all the books – yay me!). In The Elite, Maxon narrows down the girls into the top 6, which are known as the Elite. The stakes are higher, it is anyone’s game, but is winning Maxon’s heart a game?

Since the Selected have now been cut down to the Elite, Kiera Cass focusses more on the girls left in the Selection. As they are only 6 left, there is more characterisation of the Elite and it was a pleasure getting to know the girls, particularly Kriss and Celeste, although she could be a complete cow, but at least we are one step closer to finding out why she’s so manipulating and conniving.

There’s a lot of indecision on America’s part, where she questions her budding feelings for Maxon and her existing love for Aspen, which was quite frustrating, but for some reason, I wouldn't blame her for it. She’s young, she’s only been in love with one guy and now a suave, handsome, charming prince declares his feelings for her, she’s bound to be confused.

Once again, Kiera Cass has made me fall in love with another one of her books. I loved how she described the Halloween party in the palace, I could envisage myself being there, clinking champagne glasses with America and secretly ogling Maxon. Sheer pleasure with the right amount of romance, suspense and drama. Oh yes, I forgot. #TeamMaxon

Bonnie Wright and Jeremy Irvine as America and Maxon <3

Comments