Review: The One by Kiera Cass

The One by Keira Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen (6th Jun 2014)

Blurb:
The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown--or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose--and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.

After reading The Selection and The Elite back to back, I knew I had to finish America’s epic love story and read the ending of Prince Maxon’s Selection. From the cover, I sort of have an idea who would be The One, but then, you’d never know. Although, the cover of The One is just beautiful. I can’t get my eyes off of it. Such a beauty. Cover aside, let’s get to the book and the ending of the Selection!

Well, where do I even begin to tell you how I feel after reading the last page of The One. Thrilled? Devastated? Excited that there’s going to be a fourth book in the trilogy-turned-series? The thing about books is that, even when you’ve flipped the last page, the story still lives on in your head. You think about the characters and you still have you head in the clouds, wondering about “what ifs” and how things could have turned out.

It’s all down to the final four in The One: America, Elise, Kriss and Celeste. Four girls and only one crown and the chance of a lifetime to be a One. The stakes are high but the with so much happening in the first and second book, the risk of broken hearts is even higher. Could she truly choose her happy ever after? Maxon or Aspen? We’ve been through this with America, as she digs deep and decides on who she will have a future with.

In The One, you will definitely learn more about America, Maxon and the other girls in the Selection. Although initially I hated Celeste in the first two books, I started liking her after some time. It was the start of a sweet friendship between her and America, I mean, not just with Celeste but with Kriss and Elise as well. So much has happened since the girls’ arrival in the palace and the final conclusion to each and every one of their stories was written very well, in my opinion. Once again, I really enjoyed reading America and Maxon’s witty banter and I totally ship them! (Sorry, Aspen!)

The One is quite the roller coaster of a book, to be honest. There’s the gradual progress of the perfect love story between America and Maxon and BAM! something unexpectedly devastating happens and you’re left with that lurch in your tummy that doesn’t go away for some time after something awful happens. Expect moments that will take your breath away as you fall in love with how Maxon finally finds the love of his life and even those which will shatter your heart – for me, The One is by far the most emotional of all the books in the series.

Despite reading the book about a month ago, America’s epic love story is still imprinted in my heart and I’ll always have a soft spot for this series. I should have read it ages ago, but I don’t know what kept me from indulging myself in this magical love story filled with unparallel romance, friendship and hopes and dreams. Beautifully written, poetic, enchanting and utterly captivating. I cannot wait for The Heir!


Bonnie Wright as America and Jeremy Irvine as Maxon <3

Comments