Review - A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

ACOTARA Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's (5th May 2015)

Blurb:
Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price ...

Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre's presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.

Sarah J. Maas's A Court of Thorns and Roses is my first YA fantasy novel and surely it won't be my last. Bloggers I know have been singing praises about Sarah J. Maas's books and I was intrigued. So I got A Court of Thorns and Roses as my first and I flipping loved it!

The book follows the tale of Feyre, a huntress who makes a vow to her mother on her deathbed that she'd take care of her family who suffered a downfall. On a regular day of hunting, she stumbles upon a wolf and kills it, having no clue that it's a faerie. Now she's bound to an ancient, magical treaty that forces her to leave her home, pass the Wall and enter Prythian to live under the rule of the Lord of Spring Court, Tamlin.

In the first book of her new series, Sarah J. Maas has created an intricate and detailed world which draws you in from the first page when you meet the flawed and highly likeable heroine, Feyre as she allows readers to learn about her unforgiving circumstances and make us want to root for her. With her beautiful prose, Sarah J. Maas weaves a story with the most eloquent writing, with the perfect blend of enchanting words and depiction of imagery to capture the true essence of the story, I fell in love with her writing almost immediately.

Now, can we talk about the heroes, please? Because I couldn't decide on which hero to fall head over heels with and go ga-ga over. There's the High Fae Lord, Tamlin who is mysteriously brooding and deeply alluring. His emissary, Lucien, a fae with his vulpine features and sharp wit. And how can I forget the ever so charming and artful Rhysand? Readers are spoilt for choice, to decide on which hero to root for and fall in love with (well, I call dibs on all three of them!).

A Court of Thorns and Roses is all kinds of awesome. It's magical, enthralling and utterly magnificent - everything I hoped for in a fantasy novel. I adored the world that Sarah J. Maas has created in this truly enchanting novel that is inspired by the classic fairytale, Beauty and the Beast as well as the ethereal descriptions of the faeries. Get ready to be swept away by the delightfully charming and absolutely fascinating world of Prythian. A dangerously seductive and spell-binding tale of magic, faeries and just the right amount of romance underlying the plot, A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas is the definition of escapism.

A Court of Thorns and Roses is out now on hardcover and eBook in the US and paperback and eBook in the UK.

Comments

  1. aentee @ read at midnightMonday, August 03, 2015 11:22:00 pm

    I'm partial to Rhysand myself! But great review :) glad you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait for what Book 2 offers! And.. discovering what powers Feyre possess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this book is so amazing! worth too read. a good story and a great escape. i realy love it. and for me i will choose tamlin :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved it too! My first Sarah J. Maas book and it was amazing! Can't wait for the second book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about how Maas can really craft a magical world while also creating amazing plots! I really enjoyed ACOTAR - not so much that it made it into my top 10 books of the year but enough to make me excited for the second book! I haven't read her other series Throne of Glass though, but I heard so many good things about it I think I might start the series soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ayunda, you really have to read the Throne of Glass series. It's getting better and better!

    SJM is an amazing storyteller. Although ACOTAR was quite a long story, I loved it and I normally don't like lengthy books. Her writing is just wonderful.

    Thank you for stopping by, Ayunda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Review Kevin! :D I have just finish ACOTAR today and I have seriously no words to say! Sarah has done it again! And I'm in the middle of Feylin and Feyryhs now (But more to Feylin, I don't know, eek!) Can't wait to start ACOMAF soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment