Review - Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1) by Sarah J. Maas

TOGThrone of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's (2nd Aug 2012)


Blurb:
Meet Celaena Sardothien.

Beautiful. Deadly. Destined for greatness.

In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake. She got caught.

Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament - fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin's heart be melted?

If you've read my review of Sarah J. Maas's latest book and the first book in her brand new series, A Court of Thorns and Roses, you'd know that I've recently discovered these gems by Sarah J. Maas! OK, Kevin. Refrain yourself from crossing the "crazed fanboy" line. Here goes.

Throne of Glass is the first book in Sarah J. Maas's series and I think the entire world has read it and I haven't. Kind of like being the bookish nerd who never gets invited to the cool kids' parties? Yep. That's me. I nearly battered myself for not picking Throne of Glass earlier but at the same time, I'm glad that I'm only reading it now. With the publication of the fourth book, Queen of Shadows drawing near, I have the opportunity to binge read the series before it releases next month. Yes, I have a grin that is bigger and wider than the Cheshire cat's.

Throne of Glass is an action-packed, witty and highly entertaining book that will keep you riveted from the start to finish as you follow the tale of Celaena's journey of self-discovery in the King of Ardalan's competition for his new Champion. Think The Hunger Games but with less killing but with the same amount of thrills and twists. What I loved most about the book is the kick-arse heroine who has the sharpest tongue and biting wit. Celaena definitely makes my list of favourite heroines and I think we are in dire need of brilliant heroines!

Sarah J. Maas has done an excellent job in introducing Erilea to her readers and even though I've been blown away by this book, I am really thrilled to be diving into the next books as I know there are huge surprises awaiting me. Sarah J. Maas has the recipe for success for this YA fantasy book as it's got the perfect balance of action, drama, suspense and yes, even a slight blush of romance! I greedily lapped up the clever verbal jostling between Celaena and Chaol. I was even close to falling for the Crown Prince of Ardalan, the irresistibly charming Dorian. True to all her readers' praises, Sarah J. Maas SPOILS us with the most perfect book boyfriends.

Ru Clap

Throne of Glass is every bit thrilling as it is captivating. I was drawn to the characters from the start and I am gunning to read the other books in the series as soon as I can. With a knack for mellifluous prose and a maestro for twists and turns, Sarah J. Maas is a brilliant storyteller. Throne of Glass will definitely appeal to readers who are looking for a book that will transport them to a different universe and lose themselves in an unforgettable tale of a former assassin rising up to become a true heroine.

Throne of Glass is out now on paperback and eBook. Are you a fan of Sarah J. Maas's books? Get in touch so we can talk books! And fight over book boyfriends!

Comments

  1. I love this series! It feels like forever since I read the first book but talking about it is still exciting! I'm definitely Team Chaol , I still am! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you!
    Thank you so much for stopping by. It is indeed a great book! Looking forward to reading Crown of Midnight and Heir of Fire before the release of Queen of Shadows! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment