Review - Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3) by Sarah J. Maas

HOFHeir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's (9th Sept 2014)

Blurb:
Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat – and his own toughest enemy.

While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. Will Celaena find the strength not only to win her own battles, but to fight a war that could pit her loyalties to her own people against those she has grown to love?

I have literally no words when I finished Crown of Midnight so I had to quickly gather my thoughts, write a review and continue reading Celaena's story in the following book, Heir of Fire, which is the third book in the Throne of Glass series by the immensely talented Sarah J. Maas. All I can say is that this series keeps getting better and better and I can no longer wait for Queen of Shadows upon flipping the last page of Heir of Fire!

Without giving so much away as Crown of Midnight ended with an epic revelation, I'll try to give you the gist of what Heir of Fire is about. In book begins in Wendlyn, where Celaena was sent there to assassinate the leaders of Wendlyn under the King of Adarlan's orders. Well, it was Chaol's idea of sending her there to keep her safe after he discovered that Celaena might very well be in grave danger. How sweet of Chaol. Really.

You know what makes Heir of Fire my favourite of the series (so far!)? Let's see. There is finally magic. Like, the core of every fantasy read is the element of magic and in Heir of Fire, wisps of magic are beginning to surface in a land where magic has been wiped out. Not quite, King of Adarlan, you tyrannous swine! And of course, there's this new bad ass chick who is as awesome as Celaena and she's a vicious witch! Manon Blackbeak, heir of the Blackbeak clan.

And don't get me started on how complex and well-developed the plot is in Heir of Fire! Not only does the book solely focus on Celaena, it branches out to the other characters as well, like Chaol and Dorian's side of the story where they deal with the happenings in Adarlan or Manon's journey to claim the coveted title of Wing Leader in Omega. I couldn't stop flipping through the pages because each ending of the chapters made me want to read more and more! Gods, you've got me, Sarah J. Maas. If I had all the time to read it, I would have devoured the book a million times faster than it took Sarah J. Maas to write it! OK, guilty as charged.

The character developments. Well, where do I begin? Should I start with how Celaena has become a different person due to the events in Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight? Or how Chaol is starting to question his loyalty to his king? Or how bloodthirsty Manon is, just to prove herself to be the rightful heir of the Blackbeak Clan? Heir of Fire is just perfect. The balance between action, suspense, romance and MAGIC is simply on-point in this book. I couldn't stop thinking about the lives of each of the characters after I've read it and thank the Gods because I don't have to wait too long for Queen of Shadows! Oh, by the way, Queen of Shadows is out today, worldwide!

Absolutely riveting and enrapturing. I was so engrossed in reading Heir of Fire, I even dreamt of fighting alongside Celaena against those vicious creatures under the terror of the King of Adarlan. That was how good the book was for me. If I had the time, I would definitely want a reread of this utterly amazing book. Sarah J. Maas has again successfully created and further explored a world where there are Fae, magic, witches, wyverns and powerful kingdoms.

Heir of Fire is out now on paperback and eBook.

Comments