Review - A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

ACOMAFA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #2
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's Books (5th May 2016)


Blurb:
Feyre is immortal.


After rescuing her lover Tamlin from a wicked Faerie Queen, she returns to the Spring Court possessing the powers of the High Fae. But Feyre cannot forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people - nor the bargain she made with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court.


As Feyre is drawn ever deeper into Rhysand's dark web of politics and passion, war is looming and an evil far greater than any queen threatens to destroy everything Feyre has fought for. She must confront her past, embrace her gifts and decide her fate.


She must surrender her heart to heal a world torn in two.

Praise the Gods and the Cauldron because I finally got over my book hangover after finishing A Court of Mist and Fury. I was so devastated that the book ended, I craved for more and I was definitely suffering from a bout of book withdrawal syndrome. It took me about 4 days to pick up a book after I flipped the last page of A Court of Mist and Fury and read and savoured the last line.


Feelings


HOW AM I GOING TO EXPRESS MY FEELINGS? This review/gush contains the f-bomb. Sorry.




“No one was my master— but I might be master of everything, if I wished. If I dared.”



A Court of Mist and Fury, the second book in the A Court of Thorns and Roses series and I needed it like I needed water and air and love from Sarah J. Maas (not stalker-ish at all). The first book was one of my firm favourites of 2015 and I had to know what happens after the events that took place in the spellbinding first book in the series.




“And I wondered if love was too weak a word for what he felt, what he’d done for me. For what I felt for him.”



Okay, gather your thoughts, Kevin because you’re going to need it. Fuck it, I am going full-fledged fanboy over A Court of Mist and Fury because it’s the only way I could express my feelings and why I loved it. I doubt my review would do justice to the triumph that is A Court of Mist and Fury but I’ll die trying. Okay, I can’t die. I need to read what happens in the last book and there’s also the Throne of Glass books. If you’re not read A Court of Thorns and Roses, I strongly urge you to do so because shit gets real in A Court of Mist and Fury and all the secrets are revealed. A Court of Mist and Fury is like Gretchen Wieners’s hair – *whispers* It’s full of secrets.


Full of Secrets


The fanboying shall ensue. A Court of Mist and Fury picks up where A Court of Thorns and Roses left off and there’s Feyre, living her life as an immortal Fae and the beloved of the High Lord of the Spring Court, Tamlin. Still haunted by the horrors she had to endure Under the Mountain, she is miserable and the worst part is, Tamlin can’t stop controlling her every move. However, not forgetting her deal with one sexy, dark Fae lord, who is also known as my High Lord of the Night Court, Rhysand, she promised to spend a week of every month at the Night Court and there’s where the deliciousness and majority of the book is set. Note: there will be a war and it’s between all the fangirls and fanboys who fell completely and madly in love with Rhysand. Fair warning to all.




“I am broken and healing, but every piece of my heart belong to you.”



I can’t begin to fathom how Sarah J. Maas writes because I was immediately transported to Prythian and falling in love with the universe once again. Besides the fact that her writing is absolutely lush and beautiful, I felt the pages of A Court of Mist and Fury come to life so vividly. Guys, this is magic.




“To the stars who listen—and the dreams that are answered.”



In A Court of Mist and Fury, Sarah J. Maas successfully expands her universe by writing such an incredible story filled with magic and Faes and love and intrigue and it just astounds me how well she could structure and pace her writing that made reading a hulking book of 624 pages seem effortless. I devoured the book and savoured each morsel – every word, every phrase, every chapter – like it was ambrosia. Her brilliant storytelling abilities and incredible writing created an entire universe in A Court of Thorns and Roses and with that same skill, Sarah J. Maas developed and explored the other Courts which are diverse and unique and it had me gasping for more because I loved reading about the different courts, especially the Night Court which was just unbelievable. I just wish that the book would open up and swallow me whole so I could explore and experience the Courts myself. (By the way, I took the quiz and I belong to the Night Court - with my darling Rhys. What about you?)




“I was not a pet, not a doll, not an animal. I was a survivor, and I was strong. I would not be weak, or helpless again. I would not, could not be broken. Tamed.”



Beep. I forgot to mention about the steamy scenes, guys. Personally, I don't mind a bit of sex, but if you have a problem with it, you might want to be prepared. The sexy scenes are really graphic so read at your own risk, y'all. I enjoyed it, actually, because the way Sarah J. Maas poured emotions into her writing these scenes made it really beautiful and in no way trashy or dirty. Or maybe I'm just filthy beyond saving anymore.




“The voice was at once the night and the dawn and the stars and the earth, and every inch of my body calmed at the primal dominance in it.”



The wait was totally worth it because A Court of Mist and Fury gave me all the feels I wanted from a book and it was hugely satisfying to read something so rich, so profound and beautifully written. If you loved A Court of Thorns and Roses, you are definitely in for a treat when you read A Court of Mist and Fury because the entire book was fucking stunning. After finishing it, I just needed someone I could talk to because all my feelings that amassed during the entire progress of the novel came crashing down and I was such a mess. All the feels and emotions from reading A Court of Mist and Fury left me drained and spent but I loved it. I just wasn’t emotionally ready to part with Feyre and Rhysand and the entire universe because I loved it so much.




“I was his and he was mine, and we were the beginning and middle and end. We were a song that had been sung from the very first ember of light in the world.”



A Court of Mist and Fury reminded why I fell in love with Sarah J. Maas’s writing and it was equally nostalgic and exciting to return to Prythian. Her signature writing style that is effortlessly evocative and sensuous made reading A Court of Mist and Fury a total treat and Sarah J. Maas undoubtedly outdid herself with this sequel. Enchanting and full of beautiful prose that would sate your desire, A Court of Mist and Fury is an amazing and clever twist of the story of Hades and Persephone. The triumphs, successes and struggles the characters faced resonated with me as I could relate so much to how Feyre felt and I was so thrilled that she's grown so much since we met her in A Court of Thorns and Roses. After finishing it, I just needed some time to mull over what happened, hug my pillow and wish Rhys existed and reread  A Court of Mist and Fury again. Best book of 2016 so far. Well, let's see if Empire of Storms can top this.


Flawless


OKAY, NOW I NEED BOOK 3. That is all. *sashays away*


Ooh, PS. Beware, A Court of Mist and Fury will leave you with a monster book hangover. You have been warned. Gah. I'm still thinking about A Court of Mist and Fury, despite finishing it a week ago.


I cannot thank Bloomsbury UK enough for sending me a copy of A Court of Mist and Fury. THANK YOU!

Comments

  1. I'm 91% into the book and I'm going to finish it tonight and I have to agree : IT IS BRILLIANT. FUCKING BRILLIANT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RIGHT? I HAD ALL THE FEELS AT THE END. Such a roller coaster of a book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone who understands the feeling. Read it a week ago and I'm not over it. I had to put off reading to go through the motions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read it finish today and I'm srsly at the verge of tears :'( Someone pls winnow me to the night court..BUT. I totally agree with you , SARAH IS A BLOODY GENIUS !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know. Let's winnow ourselves to Velaris.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment