Time Travel and Forbidden Romance // Passenger by Alexandra Bracken

PassengerPassenger by Alexandra Bracken
Series: Passenger #1
Publisher: Quercus (7th Apr 2016)


Blurb:
New York City, present day


In one night, Etta Spencer is wrenched from everything she knows and loves. Thrown into an unfamiliar world, she can be certain of only one thing: she has travelled not just miles, but years from home.


The Atlantic, 1776


Captain Nicholas Carter is tasked with delivering Etta to the dangerous Ironwood family. They are searching for something - a stolen object they believe only she can reclaim. But Nicholas is drawn to his mysterious passenger, and the closer he gets to her, the further he is from freedom.


The Edges of the World


Together, Etta and Nicholas embark on a perilous journey across centuries and continents, piecing together clues left behind by a desperate thief. But as Etta plays deeper into the Ironwoods' game, treacherous forces threaten to separate her not only from Nicholas, but from her path home - forever.






There, I’ve read a book by Alexandra Bracken and it was her latest book, Passenger which is the first book of her new duology. I’ve heard mixed reviews for Passenger so I had a feeling that I’d have to go into it with low expectations and I am so glad that I did because it made me enjoy it more than I expected!




“It's our choices that matter in the end. Not wishes, not words, not promises.”



Passenger is basically a story about people who have the gift of travelling through time and it spans from the Atlantic Ocean in the 1770s to London in the 1940s. Henrietta “Etta” Spencer didn’t have a clue that a world existed outside of her life as a famed violinist in New York, but after a disastrous performance, not only does she finds herself thousands of miles away from home but a few centuries behind too.




“You cannot fathom the distance I would travel for you.”



I’m going to put it bluntly. Passenger was a slow burn and it took me quite a while to get into the story because Alexandra Bracken wrote the book with such enriching prose, creating a slow lull for the readers to fall into the story slowly and all at once. The first 200 pages were rather slow for my liking. Even though it’s the introduction to the world and Alexandra Bracken wanted to build the world in the book but there were some chapters that made the story really draggy.


What I liked about the book was the travelling component where the travellers are only allowed to travel to a certain period of time but not a specific date, instead they travel to a place at a specific year. The entire concept of travelling was well-executed and there were some limitations to it which made the story more complex. Another plus point about Passenger was that Alexandra Bracken took the opportunity to explore diverse cultures and weave each element of the different cultures featured in the book with one another. From the vibrant and bustling London to the lush beauty that is Damascus, Alexandra Bracken provides readers with an escapism that is both unforgettable and exciting.


I hate to admit this, but reading Passenger was hard work because of its length but that is probably the only issue I have with the book. It was a bit too lengthy and at some points, I really wanted to skim the pages until the story picked up. The ending of the book was a clever surprise and it definitely got me invested enough to read the sequel, Wayfarer which will be out next spring.




“This was the danger, the seduction of time travel, she realized—it was the opportunity, the freedom of a thousand possibilities of where to live and how to start over. It was the beauty open to you in your life if you only stopped for a moment to look.”



The whole switch and pull thing with the romance between Etta and Nicholas was mediocre at best for me. What I didn't appreciate was the insta-love which was quite cliched. But what upset me most was the lack of kissing! UGH. There should be a minimum amount of kissing in a book, guys. I didn't really like Nicholas until I reached the half mark of the book because he was such a bundle of traits that I found him confusing at times. On the other hand, I like that Nicholas was of a diverse culture and it was such so clever of Alexandra Bracken to write about a coloured character's point of view and the struggles he had to endure for having a darker shade of skin.




“What a privilege it was to never feel like you had to take stock of your surroundings, or gauge everyone’s reactions to the color of your skin.”



Other than these slight issues, I did enjoy Passenger because I am a sucker for books on time travel. The entire concept of time travel was well-written and Passenger is definitely a solid first instalment and I look forward to reading more about Etta and Nicholas's adventures in Wayfarer. Despite the slow start, it was a tantalising, enrapturing read which stayed with me after I finished it.


I'd like to thank Pansing Singapore for sending me a copy for review.

Comments

  1. Great review!

    I've been really wanting to read Passenger. I haven't read an Alexandra Bracken book before, but I have The Darkest Minds on my TBR forever now LOL. I keep saying I'm going to get to it and then never do, oops! :P

    I love time-travel books, so I hope I enjoy Passenger too! I seen the book cover for Wayfarer and I loved it, so I better love Passenger because that book is too pretty not to want to own LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the reasons why I picked up Passenger was that it was a duology! Yay!

    Thank you, Ashley. It was a good story but the pacing was a bit sluggish at some parts. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely a slow book and it took me a long while for it to hook me. I think this slow pace let the book down for me. I could have done without some of those overly descriptive passages. I agree with your comments on the romance as well. The insta-love was a turn off but I have hope for this couple. The time traveling was the best part for me. I loved that we got to explore the limitation of the system and the consequences of certain time traveling aspects and getting to explore all of those historic settings was definitely a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad we feel the same way towards the book. I admit, some descriptions were overly done and the pace was a bit too slow. But other than these issues, it was a solid book which was enjoyable at best 😉

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'Ve heard similar complaints about the writing and pacing. Honestly, I never truly had a problem with slow books, but they HAVE to be interesting. And, to tell you the truth, I was never a fan of time travel... so I don't think I'm going to read this one in the near future. But maybe someday. MAYBE., Great review though, Kevin!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Lola! How are you, sugar cookies?

    I was a bit scared to dive into Passenger at first but I really wanted to read it since the premise and plot intrigued me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment