Champagne Bubbles and Glamorous Elites // The Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee

TTFThe Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee
Publisher: HarperCollins (30th Aug 2016)
Series: The Thousandth Floor #1
Format/Source: Paperback (received a copy for review from MPH Distributors)


Blurb:
New York City as you’ve never seen it before. A thousand-story tower stretching into the sky. A glittering vision of the future, where anything is possible—if you want it enough.


Welcome to Manhattan, 2118.


A hundred years in the future, New York is a city of innovation and dreams. But people never change: everyone here wants something…and everyone has something to lose.


Leda Cole’s flawless exterior belies a secret addiction—to a drug she never should have tried and a boy she never should have touched.


Eris Dodd-Radson’s beautiful, carefree life falls to pieces when a heartbreaking betrayal tears her family apart.


Rylin Myers’s job on one of the highest floors sweeps her into a world—and a romance—she never imagined…but will her new life cost Rylin her old one?


Watt Bakradi is a tech genius with a secret: he knows everything about everyone. But when he’s hired to spy by an upper-floor girl, he finds himself caught up in a complicated web of lies.


And living above everyone else on the thousandth floor is Avery Fuller, the girl genetically designed to be perfect. The girl who seems to have it all—yet is tormented by the one thing she can never have.






Can we take a moment to drink in the marvel that is the cover of Katharine McGee’s The Thousandth Floor because I just couldn’t help but fall head over heels in love with it. The gold and black on the cover represent the luxe and mystery that is the story. Man alive, you could imagine my excitement, yes?


The Thousandth Floor is marketed as Gossip Girl meets Pretty Little Liars with a tinge of Divergent added to the mix and I couldn’t help but agree! Having sudden flashbacks of binge watching episodes of Gossip Girl as you lusted over the guys (Hello, Mr Bass) while pining for Serena and Blair’s never-ending parade of fabulous outfits? Fret not, The Thousandth Floor is a quick fix for all the high-flying, scandalous drama.




“Sometimes love and chaos are the same thing.”



Katharine McGee’s debut focuses on a group of teens who live in the Tower and they lead different walks of life but as the novel progresses, they find themselves suddenly linked. In a world where technological advancements such as hovercars and high tech communicative devices are the norm, I really enjoyed reading the lives of these characters as they find themselves tangled in a web of lies, deceit and forbidden love.


The characters in the book are diverse, personally motivated and deeply flawed. The Thousandth Floor is very character-based and the entire book follows the lives of the characters and their problems. It was quite amazing how McGee managed to focus on each and every one of the characters and keep them in the loop without causing too much chaotic drama. I liked the pacing of the book and from the opening chapter, I was hooked.




“Up here on the roof, so close to the stars, she felt young and alive and hateful.”



I can’t say for certain which character I liked the most because I really enjoyed the book as a whole. I liked that every character had a part in the overall plot of the book and when every piece of the puzzle came together at the end of the book, I was pleasantly surprised how McGee tied things up with that cliffhanger for an ending.


The world building was very intriguing. I loved McGee’s vision of Manhattan in 2118 and the exploration of Manhattan in the future was well-done and it was interesting to read about the insane technology and gadgets and gizmos. I liked how McGee paid attention to describing the details of the setting, allowing the readers to envision the grandeur and opulence of the higher floors of the Tower.


However, I did have some slight issues with the overall world building. I wonder why the Towers were built, what happened that made the humans build it? What about the other parts of New York? Generally, I liked the sci-fi elements when it came to Manhattan in 2118 where there are hovers and skyscrapers and bots, but I felt that there were some parts that weren't explored.


Aside from that slight issue, The Thousandth Floor proved to be a very enjoyable read. The drama! The romance! The scandals! The deceit! The ultimate showdown that got me reeling. I devoured The Thousandth Floor like it was the most delectable and addictive morsel I’ve ever tasted. The ending was brilliant and it has definitely got me invested in the continuation of the series. I need the second book this instance because I need to know what happens next! I have a feeling that shit’s going to happen and bitches are going to pay. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get reacquainted with my Gossip Girl DVDs.


I'd like to thank MPH Distributors for a review copy of The Thousandth Floor.

Comments

  1. That cover is indeed gorgeous! If I ever decided to buy books based on covers alone...this would be at the very top! The concept definitely sounds interesting - glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Geraldine! This was a pleasant surprise for me too. I thought it was just another pretty cover but the story was actually enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book i just did a review on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, this one's definitely one of the books I wanna get over the holidays! That cover! ❤️ And the blurb is just as intriguing too! Great review, Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo, Kat! This was such a cover love for me. Instant attraction indeed. And the story isn't bad either 😆

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you on the whole tower mystery, I was confused at one point about the rest of the city and whether everyone was forced to live in the tower or if people carried on living in other places around the city :) I loved the book though, great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment