LBDs and Romance in NYC // Little Black Dresses, Little White Lies by Laura Stampler

lbdlwlLittle Black Dresses, Little White Lies by Laura Stampler
Publisher: Simon Pulse (19th July 2016)
Format/Source: Paperback (sent by Pansing Singapore


Blurb:
Harper Anderson has always thought she should have been born somewhere more glamorous than her sleepy Northern California suburb. After all, how many water polo matches and lame parties in Bobby McKittrick’s backyard can one girl take?


Already resigned to working at a Skinny B’s Juice Press for the summer, Harper is shocked when the ultra-prestigious teen magazine, Shift, calls to say they want her to be their teen dating blogger for the summer. All she needs to do is get her butt to New York in two days.


There’s just one teeny, tiny problem: Apart from some dance floor make-outs, Harper doesn’t have a whole lot of dating experience. So when Shift’s application asked for an “edgy” personal essay, Harper might have misappropriated her best friend’s experiences for her own. But she can just learn on the job...right? Will the house of lies Harper has built around her dream job collapse all around her, or will she be able to fake it until she makes it in the big city? 






If the cover isn’t invitation enough to read Laura Stampler’s Little Black Dresses, Little White Lies, I don’t know what is. Such a cute cover and the blurb at the back of the book just promises a light, fun and very entertaining book fit for summer. Immediately, I fell into the story of the protagonist’s incredible opportunity of scoring an internship in New York City. Need I explain myself?


Summer in New York City. Yes!


An internship at an up-and-coming website. Yesssssss!


Writing about dating experiences (or lack of).. No?


Guess the protagonist, Harper Anderson is in quite a bind, isn’t it? For someone who has never been that lucky or blessed in the departments related to the opposite sex, Harper is totally out of her depth when she steps into the office of Shift, what’s worse is that she’s Shift’s latest dating guru. Surely Harper could pick up some helpful tips along the way?


Swoooon, this book had some sweet romance. Well, what can you expect since Harper’s job requires her to go out and date and write all about them in her blog for Shift? Very kiss and tell, but I loved Harper’s writing voice, it’s funny, sharp and snarky. Doesn’t it remind you of someone? *flips hair*


A romantic and flirty tale set in the glorious New York City, Little Black Dresses, Little White Lies packs a punch with its sass and bite because the book read so well. It represents my generation, even though I don’t particularly fancy loud music, alcohol and the party scene. Though I have to admit, the backdrop of the book lured me into reading Harper’s life as she prances around New York City.


Okay, let me please get to the point where I can write about Ben, the dog walker who is the perfect guy. He is the epitome of every girl’s best friend-turned-boyfriend. And yes, guys. If you’re wondering, there are beloved pooches in Little Black Dresses, Little White Lies so if you enjoyed Morgan Matons’s The Unexpected Everything, you’ll probably like this one.


Stampler’s debut novel was fun, flirty and addictive like a strawberry daiquiri (virgin, obviously!) and I flew through the story. I loved that it’s a love story set in New York City, how it also focuses on friendship and finding your voice amidst the hustle and bustle of the city. Imagine The Devil Wears Prada meets Sex in the City but with more charm and laughs. Dudes, I really need an opportunity like Harper’s, only I wish to write about books. Or food. Or both.


I’d like to thank Pansing Singapore for sending me a copy for review.

Comments

  1. So, SO happy you enjoyed this book so much, it sounds like the PERFECT read for me. I recently added it to my TBR, and now I am way too impatient to read it. GREAT review :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment