The Magic that Never Ends in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J. K. Rowling

fbFantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay by J. K. Rowling
Publisher: Little, Brown Book Group (19th Nov 2016)
Format/Source: Hardback (sent by Pansing Malaysia for review)


Blurb:
J.K. Rowling invites you to explore a new era of the Wizarding World...


Explorer and Magizoologist Newt Scamander has just completed a round-the-globe trip in search of the rarest and unusual magical creatures. Arriving in New York, he intends his stay to be just a brief stopover. However, when Newt's case is misplaced and some of Newt's fantastic beasts escape into the city, it spells trouble for everyone…






If you’ve seen the Fantastic Beasts movie and felt the similar feeling of that everlasting magic that the Wizarding World which was so incredibly crafted by J. K. Rowling gave you in the original Harry Potter series, you’ll be in such a treat with the original screenplay.


This was me when I caught a glimpse of the screenplay in the wild for the first time.


niffler-busted


I admit, I might be slightly biased because I think Eddie Redmayne is such an adorable cinnamon roll, but I must proudly proclaim this, he is the perfect Newt Scamander and this claim by me is further cemented after reading the screenplay.


eddie-cute


This screenplay is an absolute must-have for all Harry Potter fans because it’s unlike anything I’ve seen before. You probably might have wondered why J. K. Rowling didn’t decide to just write another novel. Hello, dude. This is the closest we’ll ever get to a novel so hand over your money and read the screenplay. The Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them screenplay is simply gorgeous, from the exquisite gold detailing on the velvety midnight blue cover to the adorable print of the Niffler on the naked hardback, it was love at first sight for me.


cloud-nine-with-eddie


As if the movie wasn’t satisfying enough, the screenplay was just the cherry on top. The characterisation told from the narration was brilliant and I might have fallen in love with Newt’s character even more after reading the screenplay as it amplifies his quirks, awkwardness and genuine care for his friends and beasts. And can we all agree that the Niffler stole the show?


Here's a gif of Eddie tickling me the Niffler while having fun at it.


newt-tickling-niffler


I was quite worried that it wouldn’t be used to the format but rest assured, the screenplay is very readable and it’s such a unique and different way of storytelling and what’s not to love? It’s written by the Queen! From the witty third-person’s omniscient narrative to the wonderfully charming dialogue, it was like reliving the movie again for the first time and there are some screenwriting terms and a glossary that makes the reading experience more enriching.


With Fantastic Beasts, can we all start getting excited for an expansion of the universe? With more movies coming, and hopefully screenplays, I am beside myself. As the movie and screenplay both make it possible for an entire realm of possibilities for J. K. Rowling to explore, I am thrilled to find out where this spin-off series leads.


The design and layout of the screenplay are truly artful and capable of giving you multiple eyegasms (such a gross term but it truly does). With beautiful illustrations of the “fantastic beasts”, the screenplay is a gift to the fans as it celebrates the glory and undying love of the franchise. Thank you, Jo.


Now...


i-want-to-be-a-wizard


Kidding! I am a wizard. Yer a wizard, Kevin.


I'd like to thank Pansing Malaysia for sending me a copy of review.

Comments

  1. I have seen pictures of this book and I really wanna buy it but I am broke. 😩
    I also haven't watched the movie yet.
    Great review! I'm definitely gonna save money now to buy this gorgeous book. 😻

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed the movie and the book! Probably one of the rarest screenplays that is actually worth getting! Oh, and your love for Eddie is hilarious. :D :D Great review!

    - Lashaan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Zainab! This book is such a beauty. I wish I could read it again! And watch the movie again. EDDIE REDMAYNE has my heart ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably one of my favourite movies this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eddie is just an adorable English muffin that I would gobble up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the movie SO MUCH!~ but I'm always so sceptical about reading screenplays. Especially after freshly seeing the movie. But maybe I should give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The screenplay was amazing. It gave me a more in-depth understanding of the movie. You should totally give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment