Top Ten Tuesday #6

Hello, dear friends and fellow book lovers! This is probably the last Top Ten Tuesday post of 2016 so I thought that I shouldn't miss this one!


TTT Cover


If you don’t know what Top Ten Tuesday is, it’s a weekly feature which was started by the amazing ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish!






This week's theme is.. Top Ten Books of 2016!


There were so many amazing releases this year and it was quite hard to decide on my Top 10 but after staring at my Goodreads "read" shelf for a bit too long, I have decided!


acomafeos

I know, I am awfully biased but my reading year won't be complete without Sarah J. Maas's books. Obviously, I had to include A Court of Mist and Fury and Empire of Storms to my Top 10 because they were both stunning and brilliant and I loved them both dearly.


books-of-2016-1

The Sun is Also a Star by the incredibly talented Nicola Yoon is probably my favourite contemporary of the year because I fell in love with the way Daniel and Natasha's story was written and it is a given fact that Nicola Yoon has a beautiful way of writing love stories.


Another contemporary book that really made me swoon and fall in love with its characters was The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson, whose books I discovered this year! The Unexpected Everything was just the perfect summer read. It has a swoony romance, strong friendships and adorable pooches!


This Savage Song was my first Schwab book and I was totally glued to the book. The book definitely made it's way to my Top 10 because it had such a powerful, thought-provoking message underneath the creative exploration of the nature of monsters and the monstrosities of humans.


Crooked Kingdom. Where do I begin to express my love for the final book in the Six of Crows duology. I never expected to fall in love with the books and characters so deeply but I did. What started off as a book that I picked up based on my friends' recommendations became a fully-fledged love affair with Leigh Bardugo's clever plot developments and twists as well as her unforgettable characters' flaws and personal battles.


books-of-2016-2


The Forbidden Wish is the only Aladdin retelling I've come across and Jessica Khoury's retelling of the original story was such a spellbinding twist. I loved that the relationship between Aladdin and Zahra was slow-burning romance and it gave me all the feels! Also, there's magic involved. Who can say no to magic?


What else can I say about Tahereh Mafi's incredibly colourful Furthermore, other than it being such a creative and whimsical book? I only started reading Tahereh Mafi's YA books this year when I picked up Shatter Me in August and totally loved it. Furthermore was an entirely different breed of wonderful allegories and out-of-this-world metaphors!


One of the books that left me with the gooey, warm feeling inside of me and a heart soaring with happiness was Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven. I loved that this book presented such a positive voice to its readers and it just gave me all the good vibes from reading Jack and Libby's love story.


Another gem that I read this year was Girl Against the Universe by Paula Stokes that really stayed with me. A book that centres around tennis and a cute tennis player who's the love interest of the protagonist? Yes, please. Aside from the sweet romance, Paula Stokes's Girl Against the Universe deals with friendship, loss and acceptance.






So, guys. How was your 2016? Did you manage to read some amazing books this year? Let me know what made your Top 10!

Comments

  1. YES to Forbidden Wish and Furthermore. 💜

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great choices here. I'm still working on my list but The Sun is Also a Star and Girl Against the Universe were some of my favourite releases of the year! I also enjoyed This Savage Song, The Unexpected Everything and Holding Up the Universe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo, Reg! I can't wait to see your favourite books this year 😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, both amazing books that I can't stop thinking about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful list, Kevin! The only book I've read in this list was The Sun Is Also A Star, which made to my favorites this year as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Sun is Also a Star was such a gem! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Holding Up The Universe too, definitely is my top ten books this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love how Jennifer portrayed Libby to be such a strong character. That's pretty awesome and remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Sarah Maas books. I have two to go in the first series and have yet to start the second, but am really looking forward to them. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Sun is Also a Star is sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. This makes me even more excited about it!
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crooked Kingdom is definitely a favourite of all time kind of book. It was an epic conclusion to an epic series, although I do miss a certain someone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! I have This Savage Song sitting on my TBR shelf. I’m hoping to read it early next year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Admission, I didn't like Furthermore, or at least I didn't love it. AND I haven't read EOS yet, I know right? I haven't even been spoiled, well except for the Elide ship but it hasn't discouraged me in any way. I plan on reading it in January which is becoming a tradition because that's when I read QOS! The Unexpected Everything made your list? Interesting because I've considered adding it to my TBR a couple of times, but I don't read a lot of contemporary so I never did. Perhaps I will change that. GATU is a contemporary on my TBR and on my shelf waiting to be read so hopefully in 2017 it will be LOL So many books... Great List!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, please do. And you won't have to wait long for Our Dark Duet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, it deserved to be in my Top 10. It was so suspenseful and the action scenes were A+!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved it. I'll always have a soft spot for Nicola Yoon's books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for dropping by! I am such a SJM fan. Heh. But her Throne of Glass series just keeps getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Libby would be my spirit animal. So cool and confident. And sassy too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Exactly! Sassy! 😂😂 I love her 😍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment