#BookevinReads The Names They Gave Us by Emery Lord

TNTGU


The Names They Gave Us by Emery Lord
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children’s Books (1st Jun 2017)


feathers-break




Blurb:
Lucy Hansson was ready for a perfect summer with her boyfriend, working at her childhood Bible camp on the lake. But when her mom’s cancer reappears, Lucy falters—in faith, in love, and in her ability to cope. When her boyfriend “pauses” their relationship and her summer job switches to a different camp—one for troubled kids—Lucy isn’t sure how much more she can handle. Attempting to accept a new normal, Lucy slowly regains footing among her vibrant, diverse coworkers, Sundays with her mom, and a crush on a fellow counselor. But when long-hidden family secrets emerge, can Lucy set aside her problems and discover what grace really means?



I’d like to thank Bloomsbury UK for sending me a copy of The Names They Gave Us for review.


feathers-break



Rating: 4.25 stars


Kitten whiskers. I’ve only read two of Emery Lord’s books and they were When We Collided and The Start of Me and You, which I enjoyed immensely. Her books promise a fabulous story set in summer and cute summer romance that could melt the frostiest of hearts, eg. mine.


TNTGU 1


When Emery Lord revealed the cover of The Names They Gave Us, I was completely in love with it and I knew I had to read. Stat.



The Names They Gave Us is unlike anything I’ve read before because it’s so emotionally charged and heartbreakingly beautiful, I just couldn’t put it down once I started reading it!



“Hasn't Daybreak shown me, day after day, that people can outlast unbelievable pain? That human hearts are like noble little ants, able to carry so much more weight than you'd expect.”



Emery Lord’s latest novel centres around the life of Lucy Hansson, who has her summer planned out but everything she has planned for the summer is splintered into bits when she finds out that her mother’s cancer recurs.


Upon her mother’s request, Lucy agrees to spend the summer as a camp counsellor at a camp for troubled kids, Daybreak. At first, she is quite reluctant at first, but gradually, she finds herself among people who she could call her friends for life.




“You can be okay again. Just a different kind of okay than before.”



 

TNTGU 2

The Names They Gave Us is a unique story that explores issues such as faith and belief in God, undying love and the power of friendship. So what can you expect from Emery Lord’s latest novel that is equally stunning and wonderfully written?

“I believe in nature, in science, in jazz, in dancing. And I believe in people. In their resilience, in their goodness. This is my credo; this is my hymn. Maybe it's not enough for heaven, and maybe I'm even wrong. But if I can walk through the fire and, with blistered skin, still have faith in better days? I have to believe that's good enough.”



The writing is sublime as it's simple yet beautiful and there’s just something about Emery Lord’s writing style that is perfect for summer books.


I fell in step with the characters. I adored them, especially the friends Lucy meets at camp. They were fantastic and vibrant and there was never a dull moment when they were around. I liked that they all had their own back stories that added more emotional depth to them. Also, The Names They Gave Us includes a cast of incredibly diverse characters.



Verdict:


A powerful tale of love, life, friendship and healing, The Names They Gave Us is a stunning addition to Emery Lord’s arsenal of heartwarming summer reads. Beautifully written and infused with emotions, Emery Lord’s latest offering to YA lit can make you laugh out loud in a moment and break your heart within the next page.


kevin

Comments

  1. Great review, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll check it out soon 😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Definitely, it's a great story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment